Friday, January 11, 2008

Herb Pope can now play

The bells you hear ringing throughout Las Cruces are due to the NCAA finally determining that freshman Herb Pope is eligible to play D-1 basketball this season.

This is from the NMSU web site:

NCAA Clears Herb Pope to Join Aggies
Courtesy: New Mexico State University
1/11/2008


Las Cruces, N.M. - New Mexico State Athletics Director Dr. McKinley Boston and head men’s basketball coach Marvin Menzies announced Friday, Jan. 11, that freshman forward Herb Pope has been cleared for competition by the NCAA after an approval of an initial eligibility waiver was granted. Pope can begin competition immediately.

Menzies also announced that he will hand down a one-game suspension to Pope after violating team rules. The NMSU Student-Athlete Code of Conduct states that punishment for all non-felony crimes is left to the discretion of the head coach.

“We are pleased that Herb has been cleared by the NCAA,” Boston said. “We are disappointed that the process has taken this long but felt all along that he would be cleared to play. At the same time I am also supportive of coach Menzies’ decision on a one-game suspension for Herb after a violation of team rules.”

“I’m excited and happy to finally move on and start my college career,” Pope said. “I want to thank the University and everyone that has helped me for all their hard work. I want to apologize to the University, coaches, fans and all the supporters of New Mexico State athletics for my off-the-court actions. I look forward to putting everything behind me and playing basketball.”

We now also know how NMSU has decided to handle Pope's recent arrest. We are not surprised.

No comments: