Friday, April 4, 2008

A Darrell Moody feature on Nick Fazekas

You are the three-time most valuable player of a well-respected college basketball conference. You possess great hands, especially so for a 'big' and you display superb shooting range. Oh yes, you're 6-11. There has to be a spot in The Big Show for you, right?

Darrell Moody's article demonstrates the vast difference between being a good college player and an NBA-er.

Fazekas fights to show he belongs in NBA
DARRELL MOODY
Appeal Sports Writer
April 4, 2008


SACRAMENTO, Calif. - Auditioning is something Nick Fazekas has never had to do as a basketball player until now.

Fazekas, the three-time WAC Player of the Year and two-time All-American from Nevada, is in the audition of his life as he fights to show that he belongs in the NBA.

Signed by the Los Angeles Clippers on Feb. 27 after being released by Dallas, Fazekas (3.7 points, 3.8 rebounds) has been able to give Los Angeles some much-needed minutes up front in place of Elton Brand, who just returned to action after missing 74 games, and Chris Kaman, who has been suffering from a sprained ankle.

"The situation I'm in I feel like I'm auditioning every game," said Fazekas, who scored a career-high 18 points and grabbed four rebounds in a 110-98 loss to the Sacramento Kings Thursday night at Arco Arena. "I just go out there and play every night. I'm trying to score some points, get some rebounds and play some defense. If you're doing well, they will leave you out there to play."

If the last three games are any indication, Fazekas will continue to get some good minutes. In 63 minutes, Fazekas has scored 32 points on 13-for-19 shooting, made 6-for-7 from the line and pulled down 21 rebounds.

"I know what I can do out there and I know what I can't do," Fazekas said. "I didn't rebound well tonight, but I was able to get some shots. I've always shot a high percentage. That's what it's about. That, and taking advantage of the situations you are put in."

And, Fazekas has taken advantage of the Clippers' injury problems and used that to his advantage...

Go here for the remainder.

No comments: