Saturday, May 30, 2009

Gary Williams interview with Herb Pope mentions

You HAVE to read this entire interview Washington Post reporter Eric Prisbell (who used to write for the Fresno Bee many moons ago) did with Maryland's Gary Williams. It's fascinating even though we think Prisbell overdoes the 'Gary Williams can't judge talent or get recruits' mantra questioning here.

Note: You will find some Herb Pope mentions, along with a number of other college players.

As with everything in life, there are the stories and then the stories behind the stories. The latter are what never makes it into print. The average fan laments missing out on this or that recruit, laying blame at the foot of the head coach, without really knowing the so-called score.

Just think of why Renardo Sidney isn't headed to UCLA next year, let alone USC. When you are one of the top high school players in the country, stand 6-foot-10 and end up at Mississippi State, well, there's one helluva story lurking behind that story.

The GaryWilliams Interview
Eric Prisbell
Washington Post
February 17,
2009



Hello, everyone. This is Eric Prisbell. I am about to post a large portion of my Feb. 5 interview with Gary Williams.

I carefully edited the actual interview transcript for a few reasons. A decent amount was off the record when both of us talked about three specific cases of alleged cheating, so I have not included some questions and answers. Some of the talk about three specific cases of alleged cheating was on the record, but I am unable to print it for legal concerns regarding unsubstantiated allegations. I refer to those players as Player A, Player B and Player C. I have also slightly edited a few of my questions only to give you guys more context into what we are talking about (like providing full names when I may have only said the first name). I think you’ll find this very interesting.

[We make some small talk while sitting down]

GW: This year we have one senior, we have signed two inside players. For 15 years, only Carolina and us have not finished last. So whatever they say about me as a recruiter, I’ll put my record up against anyone this decade. I must either be a good recruiter or a good coach. The idea of coaching at this level is to win, so whatever way you win, is okay. So if people say you are not a good recruiter, or if people say you are a good recruiter and not a good game coach, you know who they said that about. People are going to have opinions, which is fine. What I get measured on is winning. If 19 wins isn’t enough, I understand, people are dissatisfied. The two years we won 19, losing a pretty good player each of those years.

EP: But this is a complicated issue, and one aspect many people don’t realize is the changing face of AAU.

GW: Yeah, when would you say that really changed?

EP: Oh, I’ve seen a big change in the last five years.

GW: I’d say the last five or six. I’d say that was the dramatic change. With the change in the AAU has come incredible influence over the player, even players with parents there, the AAU in the last five years has gained a phenomenal foothold with a lot of families in terms of directing their kid where he winds up going to
school...


Go here for the full interview.

No comments: