Thursday, April 2, 2009

Hawaii also get a point guard

The timing is curious but who knows if it is connected: Bob Nash receives an extension and a junior college point says he is heading to Honolulu.

Time, guard for Nash
The UH basketball coach gets a one-year extension and a player
Brian McInnis
Honolulu Star-Bulletin
April 2, 2009


The one-year contract extension granted yesterday to Hawaii coach Bob Nash is just a bonus to Jeremy Lay.

Lay, a sophomore point guard at Northern Oklahoma-Enid, gave his oral commitment to play for the Hawaii men's basketball team Tuesday night before UH athletic director Jim Donovan officially announced a one-year extension for Nash through the 2010-11 season yesterday morning.

Nash also has an option through 2011-12 if the Rainbow Warriors post an 18-win season in the next two years or make it to any postseason tournament -- not just the NCAAs, but even a lesser event such as the NIT -- over that period.

Lay, the Jets' all-time leader in points (934) and assists (485) after two junior college seasons, guided Enid to a 25-8 record this year and wants to be a part of a UH turnaround. The 6-foot, 185-pound guard made his decision just two days after returning home from a visit to the UH campus over the weekend.

"I heard a little bit about, 'If we didn't win, then Coach Nash was going to get fired,' and all these things," Lay said. "That's not really the way I look at it because Coach Nash is more than a basketball coach to me. When we sat down and talked, yeah, he told me all the things he expected of me basketball-wise. But I know that's a guy I can go up to if I have a problem, and he can help me with it. So I wasn't really worried about the contract being up...

Go here for the remainder.

No comments: