Sunday, May 18, 2008

Jason Groves with more on Johnny Higgins

We learn a little bit more about one of Coach Marvin Menzies' latest recruits:

Higgins happy to be an Aggie
Jason Groves
Las Cruces Sun-News
5/18/2008


LAS CRUCES — After visiting Las Cruces last weekend, Johnny Higgins made up his mind to become an Aggie.

On Friday, New Mexico State announced that Higgins, a three-star guard according to Rivals.com, and 7-foot center Abdoulaye N'doye committed to play at NMSU next year on scholarship.

"When I came on my visit, I just realized it's something different," said Higgins, who played the last two seasons at Notre Dame Prepatory School in Fitchburg, Mass. "I'm from the East Coast, so stepping into that environment out West was like where I want to be. As the week went on, I was asking myself, "why wouldn't I want to be there?'"

Before the Aggies could bring him in, Higgins was released from his letter of intent at Duquesne University, where he said he committed in November to follow former Notre Dame Prep coach Bill Barton, who landed an assistant coaching job. According to Higgins' father, Melvin Bartee, Higgins was never excited about playing in Pittsburgh.

"We just decided to go our separate ways," said Higgins, who was released from Duquesne in April...

Go here for the remainder.

No comments: