Friday, July 18, 2008

A twist-and-turn story on a former LA TECH recruit

Actually, this young man has a long list of suitors besides LA TECH but at one point in time it appeared that he was headed to Ruston -- at multiple points, he was headed to multiple colleges.

Men's Basketball: Sophomore Whitehead leaves Jays, goes home
Steven Pivovar
Omaha World-Leader
July 15, 2008


Tom Whitehead's Creighton basketball career is over before it began.

The 23-year-old junior college transfer, who would have been a sophomore this season, left the team and returned home to St. George, Utah. Whitehead said he made his decision to leave after discussions with Creighton coach Dana Altman left him with no alternatives.

"I knew I would have to compete to put myself in a position to get playing time," Whitehead said Monday from Salt Lake City. "Even when he told me there was a chance that I wouldn't play much this year, I was prepared to stay. I'm a sophomore. It wouldn't be all that unusual for me not to play a lot this first year.

"The more we talked, the more I felt he wanted me to quit. I didn't come to Creighton to quit, but it got to a point where I didn't feel I had any other choice..."

...He also completed two years of academic work in one and was prepared to transfer to Louisiana Tech last August. He graduated with honors but wasn't eligible to accept a scholarship from a four-year school because of an NCAA rule that required a non-qualifier to be a full-time student for three semesters at a junior college...

Go here for the remainder.

No comments: