Thursday, May 14, 2009

Some good Rekalin Sims news

It's been a while since Rekalin Sims was in the news and this time it good to hear:

Steve Cleveland and the cleanup project
Matt James
Fresno Bee
May 13, 2009


A few extra thoughts about my column today, which I'm told dragged on longer than a fight scene from "Kill Bill." (Thanks mom, for the feedback.)...

...One last note: Rekalin Sims, the player who was released from the team two seasons ago, is still working toward his degree, taking classes online, and I think it would be a pretty remarkable story if he finished. This is a column I should pursue further, but it really could turn out that Sims was a decent guy who made a bad choice and got caught in the wrong era of Fresno State men's basketball. A decade ago, what he did wouldn't have gotten him benched for a minute, but this was a program trying to turn a corner and he was made an example of. Heck, I called for his release in one of my columns. And you could argue it was the right call. But charges were never filed. He lost what was left of a college career. Not sure, ultimately, if the punishment fit the situation...
Go here for Matt James' entire column.

No comments: