Tuesday, June 2, 2009

A must-read Chris Herren article

The WAC connection here goes back to Tark's tenure at Fresno State as the Boston Globe recently caught up with Chris Herren, a fine basketball talent waylaid by personal demons.

Hat tip to mitch42 at the Save Mart Center message board for posting this.

Changing of a guard
Finally clean and sober, Herren ready to embrace his post-basketball life
Marc J. Spears
Boston Globe
May 31, 2009


The 33-year-old's hopes of returning to the NBA or playing pro basketball anywhere in world are now basically dead. With his Massachusetts driver's license expected to be suspended soon, the Fall River hoop legend had to give up his job repossessing cars recently and is seeking employment in tough economic times. And the ex-Celtics point guard also has a wife and three kids to support.

But considering the long fight that a now-sober Chris Herren is winning over alcohol and drugs, his current issues are far from the end of the world.

"I've been to hell and back," said Herren. "I lived the life that most people, a lot of people, don't get a chance to come out of, straight up. By the grace of God and the help from a plethora of people, I was able to come out of this.

"My financial situation is today. For today, it's fine. Am I comfortable and happy with it? Do I aspire for more? Absolutely. But like I said, from where I've been, it's a lot better."

Herren's hard fall from hoop legend to addict started when he was at Durfee High School in Fall River...
Go here for the remainder.

No comments: