Monday, November 12, 2012
Hale III, a senior guard from Federal Way, Wash. (Federal Way HS), led the Roadrunners to a 2-1 record to claim the team title at the Liberty Tax Classic in Norfolk, Va. In the Sunday finale against host Old Dominion, the senior point guard poured in a career-high 29 points behind a 10-for-14 performance from the floor, including a 4-of-7 mark from long range. He also added three rebounds, three assists and a steal in the victory. It marked the most points by a Roadrunner since Melvin Johnson III scored 29 in UTSA’s historic 70-61 win against Alabama State in the NCAA First Four in 2011. Hale III posted 17 points, four steals and three treys to help UTSA down Holy Cross, 60-56, on Saturday and he added 15 points in Friday’s season-opening setback to Morgan State. Hale III was named the Liberty Tax Classic MVP.
Over the three games, Hale III averaged 20.3 points, 2.7 rebounds, 2.7 assists and 1.7 steals per game. He shot 54.3 percent (9-of-19) from the floor and 77.8 percent (14-of-18) from the free throw line.
* Denver junior forward Chris Udofia scored 20 points in a setback to Iona
* Louisiana Tech sophomore guard Raheem Appleby scored 20 points in a loss at Texas A&M
* New Mexico State senior forward Tyrone Watson scored 14 points with eight rebounds at Oregon State
* Seattle U junior forward Clarence Trent scored 18 points and pulled down nine rebounds in a win over Montana State
* UT Arlington senior center Jordan Reves registered a 13-point, 14-rebound double-double in a win at CSU Bakersfield
* Texas State junior forward Joel Wright tallied 19 points and 12 rebounds in a win over Fordham
* Utah State junior guard Preston Medlin scored 14 points in a win over Idaho State.
Posted by Kevin McCarthy at 11:44 AM