Friday, February 22, 2008

Nice feature on Jonathan Gibson

The Las Cruces Suns-News/Jason Groves has a nice feature on one of the surprises this season in the WAC, Jonathan Gibson:

Jonathan Gibson has developed into elite scorer for New Mexico State Aggies
Jason Groves
Las Cruces Sun-News
2/22/2008


LAS CRUCES — The hard work has paid dividends for Jonathan Gibson.

The New Mexico State University sophomore guard is 15th in the Western Athletic Conference in scoring (12.9 points per game), sixth in 3-point shooting percentage (44) and fifth in 3-pointers made, knocking down 2.33 per game.

"He is getting more minutes than he did last year and he has earned those by having one heck of an offseason in terms of developing his game," Aggies head coach Marvin Menzies said. "He still has a long way to go before he is able to conceptualize all of the things that he needs to do to be a complete player but he can put the ball in the basket right now."

Menzies is not the only coach who knows what Gibson is capable of.

"I've noticed that (opposing teams) shade to my side now if they are playing zone or playing man," Gibson said. "They try to pressure up on me now. I expect teams to watch film and try to make changes to try to contain me or stop me but I have to keep adding to my game..."

Go here for the remainder.

No comments: