Thursday, February 14, 2008

Reggie Larry as WAC MVP?

Here's a kid we overlooked at the beginning of the season (our bad) and it's true --- the WAC player of the year is going to be Jaycee Carroll, unless Nevada somehow, someway wins the WAC (or comes very close) and the tournament and then Marcelus Kemp has a shot at the most valuable player kudo. Another kid we vastly underrated is Bronco Tyler Tiedeman, who should be right up there as the most improved player in the WAC -- we missed on predicting him too:

Pack basketball: Larry leads Broncos' charge
Steve Sneddon
RENO GAZETTE-JOURNAL
February 14, 2008


BOISE, Idaho -- Reggie Larry is the other guy in the race for Western Athletic Conference player of the year award.

Softly, the Boise State player says he should be "The Guy," though others mostly focus on Utah State's Jaycee Carroll and Nevada's Marcelus Kemp as the top candidates to succeed three-time player of the year Nick Fazekas of Nevada.

"I think about it," Larry said. "Do I think I'm going to get it? Probably not. Do I think I should? Yeah. But it's more about getting this conference championship done."

I think I would be a good candidate for it, but it's not what I came into the season trying to get. I was trying to win. We were picked fifth (in the preseason polls). We're ... second right now. We could end up the first seed (for the WAC tournament). I think with all those accomplishments, how the year has been and my individual things I should be a strong candidate, but if it doesn't come my way it doesn't matter."

Larry will lead the Broncos, 17-6 overall, 8-3 in the WAC, into tonight's game against Nevada at Taco Bell Arena. Utah State leads the conference at 8-2. Nevada, Boise State and New Mexico State are tied at 8-3.

Larry, a 6-foot-6, 224-pound senior, has player-of-the-year credentials. He is third in the conference scoring race at 18.9 points per game, trailing only Carroll (21.8) and Kemp (19.9). He leads the conference in rebounding at 9.3 per game, which is 1.6 rebounds ahead of Nevada's JaVale McGee, who is second. Larry is sixth in the WAC in field goal percentage at 56.2 percent and also is sixth in 3-point percentage, at 43.5 percent. And he's fifth in the WAC in steals at 1.52 per game...
Go here for the remainder.

No comments: