Sunday, February 22, 2009

Chirs Murray with a Brandon Fields feature

It would be too simplistic and incorrect to lay the ups-and-downs of Nevada basketball this season solely at the feet of Brandon Fields -- but it has been a factor. Chris Murray has an article on Fields here:

Big game could turn Fields' season around
Chris Murray
Reno Gazette-Journal
February 22, 2009


Nevada's Brandon Fields has always seen himself as an underdog -- so much so, that when the junior was named to the preseason All-Western Athletic Conference second team, he said he'd rather somebody else get the honor.

"I'd really rather not even know I was on second team because I've always been an underdog my whole life and never got publicity," Fields said back in October. "That just helped me make my game better because it let me know I need to go harder ever day."

Unfortunately for the Wolf Pack, Fields has flown a little too low beneath the radar for much of this season -- first losing his starting spot in the Nevada lineup and then watching his offensive effectiveness plummet.

But in the Wolf Pack's 71-70 victory over Virginia Commonwealth on Friday at Lawlor Events Center, Fields might have found his season's turning point.

After another frustrating first half of basketball -- in which Fields was 0-of-3 from the field with three points -- Nevada coach Mark Fox challenged him.

"He chewed me out at halftime," Fields said, "and I came back with some toughness..."

Go here for the remainder.

No comments: