Monday, January 5, 2009

A Brian McInnis feature on Hawaii's Hiram Thompson

Brian McInnis features one of the more unknown Rainbow Warriors, someone who could play a key role for Bob Nash once healthy and rust-free.

On a mission
Thompson looks to make an impact after two years off
Brian McInnis
Honolulu Star Bulletin
January 5, 2009


By his own estimation, Hiram Thompson has changed.

Outwardly, he appears to be the same Hawaii point guard who showed flashes of talent and court vision as a freshman reserve three years ago.

But Thompson knows an internal shift -- borne from spending the last two years in Iowa on a Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints mission -- is the reason he got to where he is now.

The 6-foot-2, 175-pound sophomore has started three consecutive games for the Rainbow Warriors after battling through a summer and fall semester rife with injuries and frustration.

"I think I changed a lot," Thompson said. "I'm still the same Hiram, but I changed a lot for the better. I realized what's really important in life and have my mind focused on those things. Just have my life in order more."

Thompson was thus prepared mentally (if not physically) for the basketball setbacks, which included a groin injury and a thrice-pulled hamstring that only recently seems to have healed...

Go here for the remainder.

No comments: