Monday, January 26, 2009

The "I want to vent regardless of reason" crowd


You've read it before and you'll read it again. That being a sports message board poster or a commenter typing "Enough with the youth (or inexperienced) excuse from the coach. This team just needs to win, period."

Encouraged by such an enchanting flight of fantasy, the dogpile begins and the string become the longest one on the board. It's as if all have become Nike catchphrase acolytes and the mantra is "just do it" with no room at the inn for facts and reason.

Well, we're sorry to say we don't offer any guaranteed-to-work-or-your-money-back de-programming product for the low price of just $19.95 but we do adamantly believe that the members of this particular cult have either been self-brainwashed or gulped down some hallucinatory kool-aid.

That's because there is no one timetable that fits all for experience.

Was there one for each of your kids as they surely must have developed in lockstep? Did every one of your newer co-workers evolve at the same pace? Did you immediate take to your new jobs and the multitude of tasks sans any errors? And this without a 'defender' whose purpose is to make your achieving success as difficult as possible?

So why the simplistic and false expectation with sports?

We've read just such at times this season, primarily on on New Mexico State and Nevada message boards.

Let's try this. Think back when your were 17 or 18 (yes, for some of us that takes a heavy duty withdrawal from the memory bank). Possibly your confidence level wasn't then what it is now. Your worldly experience surely wasn't. All of a sudden, you're on your own. It's living with you having the sole responsibility for getting to class, taking care of homework assignments, laundry, you name it. Did I mention the hallelujah-like but extreme proximity of the opposite sex in your dorm? Or the same sex, whichever direction you roll.

So along with the above, add mastering heretofore unknown basketball intricacies. Then there's role shifts (sometimes within the same season), a being asked to perform in different capacities. There's also better than ever before competition, those bigger and stronger with having been through the wars a season or two already on their resume.

Talk about being in Adjustment Central.

So in what fantasyland is it accurate that the expectation be that underclassmen should play as well as or sometimes even better upperclassmen and with equal or better consistency than elders?

Or better yet, offer the exact location of the fool's paradise where the nauseatingly offered admonition that "(he or they) have played half the schedule already so they are no longer neophytes" is appropriate?

Planet Earth to the fanciers of such beliefs: stuff it unless you are living, breathing examples of the dogma you express. If you claim that you indeed are, then come to the head of the class and explain how you did it, lay out just how to take such a path and offer why others doing so will be as successful as you claim for yourself.

The line forms on the left.

We're waiting...

And waiting.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

As an NMSU fan and critic of the current state of the basketball team, I don't think I'm in fantasy land, nor am I taking any halllucinogens or drinking any funky kool aid. I'm not expecting greatness from a young team, nor post season play or anything close to a twenty-win season.

I'm am, however, expecting to see some amount of progess during the course of the season and, some individual flashes aside, have yet to observe any from this team thus far.

I also don't expect to be error free at work, nor do I expect my kids to develop at the same rate. I do, however, find that when I make errors at work my boss makes it eminently clear that I need to fix them or she'll find someone else who will. And as a parent, when my kids make bad decisions, I provide negative consequences for those poor decisions to ensure that they have the opportunity to correct them in the future.

Perhaps you could share a little of your flavor of Kool Aid with me and my boss so that I can simply kick back and allow my kids to develop without consequences for their bad bahaviour and my boss can simply allow me to develop at my own rate unfettered with her expectations?

To steal a line from "As Good as it Gets" to sum up my thoughts on your fantasyland:

"I think of a man and I take away reason and accountability."

Anonymous said...

As an NMSU fan and critic of the current state of the basketball team, I don't think I'm in fantasy land, nor am I taking any halllucinogens or drinking any funky kool aid. I'm not expecting greatness from a young team, nor post season play or anything close to a twenty-win season.

I'm am, however, expecting to see some amount of progess during the course of the season and, some individual flashes aside, have yet to observe any from this team thus far.

I also don't expect to be error free at work, nor do I expect my kids to develop at the same rate. I do, however, find that when I make errors at work my boss makes it eminently clear that I need to fix them or she'll find someone else who will. And as a parent, when my kids make bad decisions, I provide negative consequences for those poor decisions to ensure that they have the opportunity to correct them in the future.

Perhaps you could share a little of your flavor of Kool Aid with me and my boss so that I can simply kick back and allow my kids to develop without consequences for their bad bahaviour and my boss can simply allow me to develop at my own rate unfettered with her expectations?

To steal a line from "As Good as it Gets" to sum up my thoughts on your fantasyland:

"I think of a man and I take away reason and accountability."

Signed,

Chilero

Kevin McCarthy said...

Thanks for the feedback. Please do offer personnel suggestions about who should be on the court when say Jarmar Young and Wendell McKines and Troy Gillenwater all make errors in a relatively short period of time...and then their replacements also commit mistakes. Now the other coaches in the WAC will certainly jump at making suggestions but we'll hold off for now and no, we refuse to climb the stairs to the attic and pull our ol' togs out of the chest. We retired decades ago and we're just tired now.

Anonymous said...

Out of curiosity are you a Reno Alum?

Kevin McCarthy said...

No, the only time I've been to Reno was when I shot a man just to watch him die -- don't know why but that line from "Folsom Prison Blues" and Johnny Cash will never leave my head.

Actually, I raise my freak flag high as a San Jose State alum.