Thursday, July 23, 2009

What was the amount of the Bigelow check?

Hey, inquiring minds want to know.

Now maybe we lauded all in the equation a little too soon. Who knows? Here's Matt James with a further followup on the Fresno State - Alfonso Bigelow check pass off.

The Bigelow check drop-off
Matt James
Fresno Bee
July 22, 2009


I am back from vacation* and can finally weigh in on the Alphonso Bigelow check delivery fiasco. Or maybe it wasn't a fiasco. Who knows. I wasn't there. I was involved, but I wasn't there. I will explain eventually. As is sometimes necessary, a quick review before we carry on ...

*Explanation: The blog's brother got married in a quick and tasteful ceremony in a country church near Turpin, Okla. I served as Best Man and can honestly say I didn't embarrass anyone with any lines from "The Wedding Singer" or "Wedding Crashers." It was tempting, though.

Mr. Bigelow pledged $10 million to the Fresno State athletics department. There was a big press conference. A DVD was shown, describing the specific plans that Bigelow's money will complete -- the field turf at Bulldog Stadium, the student-athlete village, the lacrosse field, and something else which is escaping me at the moment. The Fresno State athletic administration has many big plans. They did not, up until recently, have any cash to carry out the plans...
Go here for the remainder.

No comments: