Sunday, January 10, 2010

A very interesting Herb Pope interview

Gonzo Ball, the unofficial Seton Hall Pirates basketball blog, offers a fascinating interview with former New Mexico State player Herb Pope. Early on, it touches upon a number of factors in his arriving to Las Cruces and some situations while he there:

Gonzo Ball Chats With Herb Pope
by GonzoBallSHU
November 4, 2009

A big thanks goes out to Seton Hall Forward, Herb Pope, who took the time to answer a couple questions for Gonzo Ball this evening. Pope covered a range of topics including his experience at NMSU, the intensity of a Bobby Gonzalez practice, the depth of the Pirates roster and what fans should expect when he's on the court.

Q: Reggie Theus was successful in recruiting you to come to NMSU, what was, or is, your relationship with Reggie like? A NY Post article referred to him as a "mentor," did you know Reggie before he recruited you?

Pope: I got close to him during the process, but it was more his experience with playing in the NBA obviously and becoming a coach. He gave me the inside traits that I wanted to learn, that’s what drew me there, he was the only guy that was a former player and head coach that recruited me. He showed me what it’s like to be a big guard in the league.

Q: It was obviously important for you to get away from your hometown when choosing a school, but what did NMSU offer that other schools you were considering couldn’t? Namely, Oklahoma, Memphis, Maryland?

Pope: It was a change of scenery, everyone was just nice, nice people, people are very outgoing there, the community and by that, not just the people recruiting me, but the average person that didn’t know me or anything about me, they were just nice people in general. It was a laid back environment, you know, people go there to retire, so, it was somewhere I needed to go to...
Go here for much more.

No comments: