Sunday, October 26, 2008

ESPN on former Wolf Packer Tyrone Hanson

Ty Hanson was excused from the Nevada basketball team early last season after a couple of problems and there was even some question about his safety if he remained in Reno after the last incident. ESPN has an article on Hanson and Chris Murray of the Reno Gazette-Journal came across it. It's a very interesting article but why or even why now are legitimate questions. It's certain that the Hanson followup has nothing to do with the recent shoplifting citations of three Nevada players.

ESPN The Magazine features ex-Pack player Hanson
Chris Murray
Reno Gazette-Journal
10/25/2008


I was flipping through the latest ESPN The Magazine when I came across a story titled, "Could've Been Worse." The subhead was, "What do you call a former prep star who is brutally beaten and threatened at gunpoint, only to be kicked off his big-time college team and exiled to a sleepy juco in Arkansas? Lucky." Sounded like a good read, so I flipped the page and what did I see? A picture of former Wolf Pack basketball player Tyrone Hanson. I should have guessed that from the headlines, but didn't. I would like to provide a link to Jerry Bembry's feature of Hanson here, but it isn't posted anywhere online, not even on the magazine's Web site. So, instead of a link, I will post a skeleton of the story.

Could've Been Worse

The story starts with an anecdote about Hanson flying from Reno to his home in New York immediately after being kicked off the Pack. It was the same flight he took two months earlier -- when he flew into Reno before his sophomore season -- but in the opposite direction. He was flying home to his father, who raised him as a single parent and had saw him off to Reno just a few months before.

Hanson on returning to New York: "When my dad dropped me off (when I was going to Reno), he was so proud -- his son was doing something with his life, playing games on ESPN. Then there I was at the same place, with the same two bags, looking at my dad and thinking I'd let him down..."

Go here for the remainder.

No comments: